home recipe index ingredient index contact

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Sausage and Tortellini Stew

Tonight’s delectable and satisfying dinner, and possibly lunch tomorrow:


1 lb mild Italian sausage, casings removed
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
5 cups beef broth
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 Tbsp basil
2 Tbsp oregano
10 oz purchased fresh tortellini
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese for serving

In a large pot over medium high heat, add the sausage, breaking up with the back of a spoon. Once cooked through, transfer sausage to a plate with a slotted spoon.

Add onion and garlic to the pan and cook until tender. Return sausage to the pot. Add broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, zucchini, carrot, bell pepper, basil and oregano. Simmer until all vegetables are tender, about 35-40 minutes. Add tortellini to the soup and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowl and serve with Parmesan cheese.

Yields 6 servings.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey whitney, it's Shannon...as I read Caitlyn's blog, I came across yours, and then came across rookie cookie! Seriously, I love it! You are fantastic! I actually tried that potato veggie "yummy-ness" one that you did and it seriously was fantastic! So thanks for that! If you're ever interested, I've got a couple of very easy, fairly cheap recipes I've found and loved. So...yeah. :)

Emily said...

K, so Whitney, how is it that I am just barely seeing your recipe blog for the first time? I love it! It's so awesome... And why can't I post comments on your other blog? What's the deal with that? All I wanted to do is comment, but I couldn't- whatever...
You are a way better blogger than I am and I admire you for that. Maybe you could give me some pointers

Emily said...

P.S. when are you going to invite Jason & me over for dinner? We want to try one of your culinary creations

cat+tadd=sam said...

Seriously, I can't comment on your other blog and I'm mad! I want to tell you that I'm excited your pregnant, but sorry you're a little sick. And I want to tell you I miss Jack, and I hope you had a good time with Mom. BUT I CAN'T!