home recipe index ingredient index contact

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Spaghetti with Fresh Pesto and Pine Nuts

Today I was in need of a hero. I was tired, hungry and wanted someone to come in a clean my house and take care of my son. Ever have days like that? Well, I got out of that slump, put some clothes on, brushed my teeth and went to the grocery store. I picked up a few things to enjoy now and this weekend, things like some whole wheat English muffins to make mini-pizzas with, the most beautiful cherries and a fragrant pineapple. Yum.

Along with those things, I got stuff to make my first ever batch of homemade pesto. This is a big deal to me because I now have a food processor. Thank you ETHAN!

This is what I came up with. My starving self was very satisfied.



1/2 lb spaghetti
1 clove of garlic
2 cups fresh basil
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
1 tsp kosher salt
A few grinds black pepper
1/2-3/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the spaghetti until al dente. Drain and set aside.

In the bowl of a food processor, add garlic, basil, 1/4 cup pine nuts and salt and pepper. Process until basil is minced. While machine is running, slowly add olive oil until desired consistency.

Toss pesto and cheese with warm spaghetti. Sprinkle the rest of the pine nuts on top.

Yields 4 servings.

No comments: