home recipe index ingredient index contact

Friday, March 21, 2008

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

Boy, did this heat up my house. It is way too hot to have my oven set to 350 degrees for an hour. But it was worth it. Moist on the inside, crispy on the outside, chocolately, yummy.




1¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp fine salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for preparing the pan
1 cup sugar
3 very ripe bananas, peeled, and mashed with a fork (about 1 cup)
½-¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, depending on your preference

Set the oven to 350 degrees F.

Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl, set aside. Whisk the eggs and vanilla together in a liquid measuring cup with a spout, set aside. Spray a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray.

In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with an electric hand-held mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually pour the egg mixture into the butter while mixing until incorporated. Add the bananas (the mixture will appear to be curdled, but don't worry), and remove the bowl from the mixer.

With a rubber spatula, mix in the flour mixture until just incorporated. Fold in the nuts and transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Cool the bread in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Turn the bread out of the pan and let cool completely on the rack (I never do that. I like it warm)

Rookie's Notes: If you are like me, you could eat this whole loaf on your own. To save me from myself, I freeze half. I cut the whole loaf in half and wait for it to cool completely. Then I wrap it in plastic wrap and foil and put it in a labeled ziploc bag. I throw it in the freezer and wait for a chocolate chip banana bread craving to come along. I usually pull it out of the freezer at night and then let it defrost on the counter over night. Then we have a yummy breakfast addition.