home recipe index ingredient index contact

Friday, June 27, 2008

Raspberry Yogurt Cake

When I was little, like 5 or 6, I had a friend named Mindy. Mindy lived near by and we were best pals. She had a trampoline- enough said. Mindy also had raspberry bushes.

One day after playing, I was walking down her drive way to go home. It was a long drive way and she had raspberry bushes along the entire way. I kept staring at the plump, magenta berries as I walked and then I couldn’t help myself. I stopped and started eating. With my hands and my mouth full, I looked over and saw Mindy’s dad! I was busted! I dropped the raspberries in my hand and took off running.

I spent the rest of the day waiting to get busted. I just knew that Mindy’s dad would call and tell my mom I was a dirty, rotten little raspberry thief. I was shaking in my My Little Pony Velcro’s all day. Luckily, he never called.



3 cups flour, divided
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cupc butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
1 1/2 tsp almond extract, divided
2 tsp orange zest
3 eggs, room temperature
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
2 1/2 cups fresh raspberries (two 6-ounce containers)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp (or more) water

Set oven to 350°F. Spray a 12-cup Bundt pan with non-stick spray. Whisk 2 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in medium bowl.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in large bowl until creamy. Beat in orange juice, 1 teaspoon almond extract and orange zest. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Mix in yogurt.

Add dry ingredients to batter and beat just until blended. Toss 1/2 cup flour and raspberries in large bowl. Fold berry mixture into batter. Spoon batter into prepared pan; smooth top.

Bake cake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Cool 30 minutes. Invert cake onto plate and cool.

Whisk powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon water, and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract in medium bowl. Add more water by 1/2 teaspoonfuls as needed for thick glaze. Drizzle over cake. Let stand until glaze sets.

Rookie’s Notes: How delicious looking is this little confection?

No comments: