home recipe index ingredient index contact

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sleepover in my bed


A week ago, while Ethan was out of town, Jack slept in my bed. I leaned over to kiss my slumbering 3½ year old and time froze. First, I wondered who gave him permission to get so big. I looked over his long, yet little body. His chubby fingers that always house dirt under the nails, not matter how much Johnson & Johnson I use. The dimples on his knuckles that I quietly begged to stay forever. His smooth wrists that no longer have the “rubber band” indentation.

He stirred and then gave me a perfect observing view of his coarse, wiry hair. No amount of hairspray can tame those cowlicks. Then I memorized his nose and the scratch from Who Knows Where.

He then adjusted his sleeping self out of the covers and moved to the top of them. It reminded me of a similar episode. Not too long ago, I went in to check on him before I went to bed and he was sleeping on the floor. I picked him up and smoothed his sheets and blanket over him. The next morning I asked him why he was sleeping on the floor and he replied, “My bed is too hot and the floor isn’t.” Easy enough.

In this frozen moment, I thanked my Father in Heaven for this miracle called Child. Oh how I love this little boy and everything little thing about him. I even love his overly passionate reaction to my toy pick-up requests. What a miracle he is and what a miracle it is that he gets to be mine.

7 comments:

[Morgan] said...

you, my dear. are wonderful.
i've often wondered if children are like animals when it comes to the whole, grow to the size of the cage thing. maybe we could keep them small by sleeping them in little boxes.

Michelle @ Twig said...

mmm, thank you for such an honest and adoring writing. i admire it a lot.

MamaDonna said...

Beautiful sentiment Whitney. Thank you.

P.S. Cadence keeps asking to play with Jack. Playdate as soon as your up to it!

cat+tadd=sam said...

That was so sweet Whit. I sure love you both.

Megan said...

I think it was dumb.




Someone has to ground you. Might as well be me.




And then I feel I must remind you that I'm kidding. Jack even said, "Aunt Megan, you're nice." From the mouths of babes . . .

heather said...

i totally know how you feel. sometimes i get choked up just looking at wendy. even if she's doing nothing. it truly is a miracle.

Jodi Jean said...

what a beautiful post!! and he is a miracle ... i can't wait to meet my next one next monday!