home recipe index ingredient index contact

Friday, October 31, 2008

Pumpkin Chocolate Tart

When I moved, I had INCREDIBLE help from my family. Two of my sisters took two days of work off and came to California to help me pack when I was completely burned out. Then the night that my moving truck arrived in Utah, my sisters, brothers in-law and parents jumped into action. They had my entire truck unpacked in less than an hour, at 11:00 at night. THEN, another sister took the day off of work to help me set up furniture and get unpacked. I have an amazing, supportive family. They are all such good examples to my boys of how you treat family.

In efforts to "repay" all my family, I have asked each of them to tell me something I can make for them. Sweet, savory, chicken or chocolate. Anything, I'll make it. So far I have Mallory's boyfriend Nick repayed in brownies. This dessert is Haley's. She saw it in a magazine and it had to be her's.

To my family, thank you. You all overwhelm me and I hope that someday I can be the support that you are to me.



For the crust:

20 chocolate wafer cookies
2 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp butter, melted
4 oz semi-sweet chocolate, melted

For the filling:

1 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp salt

Set the oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, pulse cookies and sugar until finely ground. Add butter and pulse until crumbs are moistened. Using the bottom of a dry measuring cup, press crumbs into bottom and sides of a greased 9 inch removable-bottom tart pan. Place tart pan on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until set, about 12 minutes.

Pour chocolate onto warm crust and spread with spatula. Freeze until chocolate is firm, about 5 minutes.

For the filling:
In a bowl, whisk together pumpkin, egg, cream, sugar, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Pour filling into prepared crust; bake on a rimmed baking sheet until set, 45-50 minutes. Cool 1 hour at room temperature and refrigerate 1 hour, or up to 1 day.

Rookie's Notes
: In the picture, you might notice some specks in the crust. Those are graham crackers. I didn't have enough cookies, so I added some graham crackers as a filler.

Don't buy pumpkin pie spice, just make it.
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves

This substitute makes 1 tsp. Make all of it and use the other half to adjust the spices in your filling.

No comments: