home recipe index ingredient index contact

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Cauliflower Soup with Curry Shrimp, Cilantro and Lime


I haven't ever had any real kitchen injuries. I might have nicked my finger with my beloved santoku a time or two, but nothing serious. Nothing, until now.

I am here to tell you all to be freaking careful when pureeing this soup. I was pureeing the soup in batches in the blender. I was on my third batch and I filled the blender too much. I pushed the button and boiling hot soup exploded all over my face, my neck and worst of all, my arms. My left forearm got scorched all over, but not bad. But on my right arm, I burned off some skin. It was pretty much not cool. Luckily, my mom has her Wood Badge and she first-aided me right up. Everything was fine, but I ain't gonna lie, it hurt. So PLEASE be careful. Do not fill up the blender more than half way. Or even better, use an immersion blender. Or even better BETTER, someone get me an immersion blender. Man, that hurt.



1/2 cup butter
2 onions, roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 tsp kosher salt, divided
2 tsp finely grated ginger
2 heads cauliflower, cut into florets
4 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
7 cups water
Ground pepper
40 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp curry powder
Kosher salt
Lime wedges
1 bunch cilantro, chopped

For the soup:
Melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, 2 tsp salt and ginger and cook until the onions are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the cauliflower, coriander, turmeric and the remaining 2 tsp salt. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the water. Set the heat to high, cover and bring to a boil. Boil uncovered for 20 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender.

Puree the soup in SMALL batches in a blender, keeping the lid cracked to allow steam to escape. Blend until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper accordingly. Keep soup at a simmer while making the shrimp.

For the shrimp:
In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with the olive oil and curry powder. Season with salt. In a medium skillet over medium high heat, cook shrimp until pink and translucent, about 3-5 minutes.

When serve, place 5 or so shrimp in the bottom of a soup bowl, then ladle soup over the top. Squeeze lime juice over the soup and sprinkle on cilantro.

Yields 6 servings.

Rookie's Notes: Even though this soup tried to kill me, it was still VERY tasty. I liked it with a lot of lime juice.

7 comments:

Laura said...

Oh! How horrible! At least the soup was good right? Sending healing thoughts your way!

Michelle @ Twig said...

Eeekers Whit, that's terrible! Thanks for the good food + safety update!

cat+tadd=sam said...

Poor Weenie! Thank goodness for Super Mom!

Scott said...

Do you remember when we were making suckers and spilled some on my hand!?! I got a HUGE blister!! Oh the memories!!

Ashley Thalman said...

taking one for the team i see....

Megan said...

Wuss.

Jodi Jean said...

oh whitney!! i'm sorry! that is the worst. i once was so excited about something i made that i pulled it out of the oven (with no protection) burns are NOT fun.

and i can't believe you don't have an imersion blender, the gadget queen.

ETHAN ... get that girl an immersion blender. they aren't that expensive, she deserves one ... PRONTO!!

(i bought mine one day while i was craving hummus ... hehe. totally worth it!)

sorry again chicka, hopefully it heals soon!!