home recipe index ingredient index contact

Monday, March 30, 2009

Michelle's Sesame Chicken

As I was making this, I was trying to justify how easy it was. I don't like making recipes that claim they are good because they are easy. Easy doesn't mean something tastes good. It just means it is easy. Maybe I think that way because I have had food that isn't easy and it's so blasted good. Example? The butterscotch creme brulee at Spencer's Steak and Chops in Salt Lake City. It isn't easy to make and I am over the moon for it.

Anyways, as I was trying to think of the easy justification, I thought, "Okay, it is just basic. It is made with basic methods." Then my day was ruined when I remembered lame Lisa from Next Food Network Star and her whole "beautifully basic" crap. Remember her? She BUGGED.



ALERT: I have made this four times in the past month. Ladies (and the few gentlemen reader I have. You know who you are, Misssster Fowers), that is huge. I barely make anything more than once because I have Culinary ADD.

This recipe is another Michelle Special. You know, Michelle with the great ankles. Michelle is my sister's mother in law. She is just the greatest.

Dear Michelle,
I cordially invite you to be my other mother in-law.
Oh, and Megan does too.
Love, Whitney



2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of any fat and cut into bite-size pieces
2 Tbsp flour
Kosher salt and ground pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp sesame seeds
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 cups white or brown rice, cooked according to package directions

In a bowl, combine soy sauce and sugar and stir well to combine. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, combine chicken pieces and flour. Season with salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Once hot, add chicken. Cook, stirring often, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.

Transfer chicken pieces onto a plate and put the pan back on the heat. Pour in the soy sauce mixture. With a wooden spoon, scrape the cooked bits on the bottom of the pan while the soy sauce mixture simmer. Let simmer for 2 minutes, until slightly thickened. Add the chicken back into the pan. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top and toss well, coating all the chicken pieces in the soy mixture.

Serve over rice and garnish with green onions.

Yields 6 servings.

Served with this: Just a plain old green salad. Romaine, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados and sliced almonds.

15 comments:

rabidrunner said...

Yum. I'll bet this would be great with a sesame oil substition... eh?

Kalli Ko said...

beautifully basic = annoying

she drove me insane


i am making this tomorrow

Michelle said...

This is one of Stephen's specialties as he makes it for his dates. As for the mother-in-law request, I'm all for it. I will take all the daughters I can get!!!

Gabby said...

Wow, this looks delish and relatively easy! My kind of dish!

ljkc said...

I too suffer from Culinary ADD - although chocolate banana bread always seems to show up in the oven... ;)

Danny and Kristen Woodbury said...

I'm out of my league just reading your cooking posts! On that note, I have been trying to make this homemade chocolate sauce... and I have only had it turn out right ONCE!! All the other times the consistency is grainy, like the sugar wasn't melted right... but I had the temperature on low for like 10 minutes at least! Any insights on what I'm doing wrong! Here's the recipe:
1 c. white sugar
2 Tb. baking cocoa
2 Tb. butter
1/3 *plus* heavy whipping cream
bring to a boil and boil for 1 min. Remove from heat and add 1 tsp vanilla. IT IS MY FAVORITE DESSERT OVER A BANANA AND VANILLA ICE CREAM... AND IT IS BREAKING MY HEART THAT I CAN'T DO IT! Help me Whitney, you're my only hope! :) I am in awe of your greatness!

Danny and Kristen Woodbury said...

By the way, your eyes look gorgeous in your "dashboard" picture! Muy bonita!

Ashlee said...

I just made this for dinner tonight - AMAZING! So good and so easy. Thanks for the recipes, love your site.

Sonnet Hullinger said...

Just stumbled onto your site and I think it's fabulous. I made this sesame chicken dish for dinner tonight and everyone at my house ages 3 to 42 loved it. It is definitely going into my recipe book!!! Thank you!!

cat+tadd=sam said...

Ooo Michelle, take me too!

Taryn said...

I was so excited to see this recipe and I tried it the next night. I was especially excited because I had all the ingredients to make it.

It turned out great!

{lindy baker cakes} said...

Whitney,
It's Lindy Rawle Baker. I made this tonight! It is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good! Thanks for the recipe! I love your site by the way!!!

Megan B ♥ said...

Yikes! This recipe looks great!

Megan B ♥ said...

Uh, whoa. This. was. awesome! THANKS!!

Kate said...

I made this over the weekend for my hubby2B and he LOVED it!! Sesame Chicken is his favorite chinese dish anyway, but he said this was better than some places we go out to eat. I was ecstatic. (I'm a vegetarian, so I didn't try it, but hubby2B was happy so that's good enough for me.) I paired it with a Pork Fried Rice recipe from Family Circle October 2010.