home recipe index ingredient index contact

Friday, January 30, 2009

Shrimp Creole with Brown Rice

The greatest thing has happened.

I have decided I like brown rice.

I am floored, really. I happen to be a huge advocate for regular pasta. Whole wheat pasta is not good and you need to stop telling yourself that it is. I thought I felt the same way about brown rice vs. white rice, but I don't and I am totally pumped about it.

This great news also means I am going to have to stock up on brown rice for my food storage. In case you can't tell, I am a Latter-Day Saint aka Mormon. We Mormons are a little crazy about being prepared for calamities. We have been counseled by current and past prophets to have a full year supply of food. Yes, a full year. It isn't an easy task and I am still working on that full year. But in my mind, if a prophet of the Lord says do it, I am all ears. You should give it a try. It feels good to know that I am prepared and that my family won't suffer when it comes to rising food prices and natural disasters.

At the bottom of this page are a few links that are helpful in getting your full-year supply. A 72-hour kit isn't a bad thing to have either.



3 Tbsp butter
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
Kosher salt and ground pepper
3 15 oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
3/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp salt
2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined and tails removed
Hot cooked brown rice

In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter. Once melted, add the onion, green bell pepper and celery. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are softened.

Add the tomatoes, paprika, cayenne pepper, bay leaves and salt. Stir to combine. Reduce heat and cover. Let simmer for 15 minutes.

Uncover and add shrimp. Toss occasionally, until all shrimp and pink and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Serve over brown rice.

Yields 6 servings.

Now onto those helpful food storage links:
A good way to get a little of your year's supply each week. Click here.
More tips on getting your full-year supply. Click here.
For a 72-hour kit check list, click here.
Online store with a lot of 72-hour kit stuff. Click here.

5 comments:

My crazy crazy life said...

I've been eating brown rice for awhile. I heart it! But the other night, I fed it to my kids without telling them and they ATE it! They didn't ask any questions (well, they're not allowed to really). And I'm with you on the whole wheat pasta thing...that stuff is gross...weird consistency and no flavor.
I'm dying to try the quinoa from your earlier post.

Mickelle's Minute said...

You might want to check the specifics of storing brown rice. I think that is goes bad quicker and may not be ideal for food storage. I could be wrong, but that is what I have heard.

jenniferhoiyin said...

love the food storage links, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY :)

Unknown said...

Made this tonight...It was really good & easy too.
I'll be making it again for sure!

Fowie said...

Ok, I'm big into brown rice, but I've yet to be able to cook it so it's as soft as white rice. I don't mind a slight crunch to mine, but Cheryl isn't a big fan. Suggestions?