home recipe index ingredient index contact

Monday, March 16, 2009

Banana Walnut Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting

Holy mackrel, I think I forgot the eggs. Here I am typing up this recipe and remembering what I did. Then I realize there aren't any eggs in this. I go back through my baking and trace my steps. No cracked eggs. No egg carton on the counter. No eggs? And it was still good and I didn't even notice? Okay, no eggs. Maybe the bananas helped stabilize the batter in the same way eggs would. Weird. I am actually quite disturbed I forgot the eggs.

Why would I forget something like that? Maybe my brain is being sucked out by another being... like a baby or something*.



2 1/3 cup flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 ripe bananas, cut into small pieces
2/3 cup chopped walnuts

Set oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with non-stick spray and set aside.

In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside. In a liquid measuring cup measure the buttermilk and add the vanilla. Whisk to combine and set aside.

In another large mixing bowl using a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar. Add the banana pieces and mix until bananas are broken down and the mixture is smooth. Add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the buttermilk mixture. Mix well. Fold in walnuts.

Spread batter into the greased pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely. Spread peanut butter frosting all over the cake.

Peanut Butter Frosting
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 to 1/3 cup milk

In a medium bowl, add the peanut butter and powdered sugar. Using a hand mixer, mix until well combined. Add vanilla and milk. Beat until smooth. Spread over cooled cake.



* I am most certainly NOT pregnant.
Sorry. I just wanted to see who would take the bait.

5 comments:

Sweet Pea Chef said...

I would have taken the bait, had you not included your "*." :)

Mal Robin said...

I totally took it. That food looks good. Make it for me tomorrow? Oh yeah, you cant...

cat+tadd=sam said...

I didn't take it. I'm smart.

Google Adsense And Seo Ebook said...

I do not like bananas much, but enjoy cooking especially food cake. Meetings not very good that this will taste like
I will write again on my blog about this subject when completed
Thanks
http://www.foods9.com

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Didn't take the bait thanks to the *!

So seriously no eggs. Well, this a recipe that needs printing out. I'm more likely to run out of eggs before any of the other ingredients. Thanks for sharing it!
~ingrid