home recipe index ingredient index contact

Monday, April 20, 2009

Best-ever Buttermilk "Vancakes"

On St. Patrick's Day, I made green pancakes. Before I started pulling out the flour, I did a quick Food Blog Search for buttermilk pancakes. I knew we had some buttermilk and I might as well use it. So I grabbed the first buttermilk pancake recipe on the list, which happened to be from Simply Recipes.

I made the pancakes and added lots of green dye. Jack was so suspicious. While I combined the dry ingredients, he started calling the pancakes "Vancakes". Once the batter was mixed, I poured batter onto the griddle. Jack started saying he wouldn't eat them. I couldn't blame him. Green pancakes? I wasn't even sure if I was going to have any.

Once the first cakes were done, I smeared on some butter, sprinkled on powdered sugar and green sprinkles and passed the plate to Jack. He took and bite and loved it. "Mom, can we have green Vancakes all the time?"

When the next round of Vancakes were done, I cut one in half and gave it to Van and then I stacked some on a plate for myself. I didn't have high hopes for these Vancakes. I have never made truly great buttermilk pancakes. But it was breakfast and I was hungry.

I cut my first bite, slid it through some of the syrup pooled on the plate and took a bite. I was so surprised. They were really good. I cut another bite, slid it through the syrup and ate it. Once again, really good.

Since St. Patrick's Day, I have made these buttermilk Vancakes quite a few times. They are soft, light and fluffy. Jack likes his Vancakes with butter, powdered sugar and bananas. I like mine with butter and pure maple syrup. Van likes his plain, but crumbled into a million pieces. Gus, the dog, likes his off the floor, preferably under Van's highchair.



2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup milk
1 Tbsp water
3 Tbsp warm melted butter

Heat a griddle over medium high heat.

In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Whisk to combine and set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, milk and water. Add to the dry ingredients using a rubber scraper. Mix until the batter is still lumpy. Add the melted butter and stir lightly until combined. Spray the griddle with non-stick spray. Pour batter onto the griddle 1/4 cup at a time. When the edges of the pancakes are dry, flip them. Cook on the other side until golden. Serve with butter and syrup and whatever other pancakes condiments you like.

8 comments:

Mal Robin said...

I miss that! Waking up and having breakfast with Jack and Van. I love you guys a lot.

"Vancakes"... cute.

Vanessa and Company said...

I love me a good pancake recipe, and especially this one since my name happens to be Vanessa, so Van-cakes works out really well for me too, lol!

Scate said...

I was thinking about blueberry/buttermilk pancakes after watching something on FoodTV last night... these look great!

cat+tadd=sam said...

Vancakes is perfection.

[Morgan] said...

vancakes. i like it.
makes me want to count like the count...
von, two, ah ah ah! vancakes, t-ree! ah ah ah!

Cakespy said...

Hello Vancakes. Nice to meet you. And now I must eat you. They look so awesome!

Anne said...

Those look yummy, As do the dutch baby pancakes. At my house we call them hootenanny pancakes and we eat them with sour cream and strawberry jam. Delicious!

Amelia . Lyon said...

Whitney, its really hard to be dieting and reading your blog at the same time!!! How the crap did you become such a good chef?! I've been daydreaming of those veggie rolls you made me a while back...I NEED to make some! Ps. your boys are cute and huge and I want to kiss them both! Miss you guys!