home recipe index ingredient index contact

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Herb Grilled Potatoes - Guest Blogger

Yipee! I am leavin' town! This trip is much needed. Family, friends, niece being baptized, baby being blessed, golf, Dodgers, beach and even Van's 1st birthday celebration.

While I am away playing hard, my blog is still home working hard. I have a few guest bloggers lined up so that Rookie Cookie isn't lonesome. I am excited t
o introduce you to these bloggers, if you haven't already enjoyed their offerings. First off is Katie from Good Life Eats. She has a beautifully designed blog and has been cooking up some crazy delicious summer food lately. She was nice enough to put together a guest post for me and it looks simple and delicious. Thanks Katie!

Be sure to stop by and
check out her blog.

Anyways, here is Katie:

The weather is warm, or soon to be there, and grilling season is upon us. As a busy mom, there are few meals I like better than a meal o
n the grill. Why? Grill cooking seems to involve very little cleanup for me. No casserole dishes to scrub clean. No stacks of pots and pans. For me it's usually just tin foil and zip top bags to toss in the trash, some tongs and maybe kebab skewers to toss in the dishwasher. I marinade any meats in bags so that the raw juices and leftover marinade is contained and can be discarded easily.

Another plus that I'm sure we all love is taking the heat out of the kitchen and into the yard on the warmer days. I love to sit out in the shade while dinner is grilling and the kids are playing on the swing set. Or sometimes I swing with them even though I’m pretty sure that I exceed the weight limit.

Potatoes before hitting the heat.

One of my favorite sides to grill is a foil pouch of herbed potatoes. They are simple, flavorful, and something I can easily keep the ingredien
ts on hand for. There aren’t many measurements, just some guidelines that you can adjust to your liking. I like red potatoes best. My herb choice is usually rosemary, I have it growing in the garden, but parsley and thyme are also great flavors. Rosemary is incredibly easy to grow and an attractive bush to have in your yard. It's also very fragrant.



2-3 small red potatoes per person
A handful of chopped fresh herbs – rosemary, parsley, or thyme
Salt
Pepper
Plive oil
Heavy-duty foil

Cut potatoes in half. Cut each half into quarters. Place potatoes on top of a large sheet of heavy-duty foil. Drizzle with oil, season to taste with salt and pepper, and toss with herbs. Pull the two shorter ends of the rectangle together in the center. Hold them together and roll down. Fold in the remaining openings. Grill the potatoes for 30-40 minutes, flipping part way through, or until potatoes are tender and light gold.

Note: I grill using a gas grill on high and put the potatoes on the upper rack.

4 comments:

Mumsy said...

I'm making these tonight! I was just thinking yesterday about grilling potatoes and was going to search around today for a recipe.

(Love your blog, Katie!)

Snooky doodle said...

these look delicious :)

Megan and Keli'i said...

So Rookie...I am looking for a delicious soup, chicken with vegetables or something, that is tasty AND healthy, and something I can make a big batch of that I can just reheat on the go. Got anything like that? Or refer me to something like that? And these potatoes look delicious! ALSO, wondering if you know how to make delicious food WITHOUT spending a fortune. Seems like I make the same five items/week because they're cheap. Got any tips?

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Yum, we're a potatoe lovin' family! Thanks for sharing!

Hope you have a fun, fabulous, and safe vacation!
~ingrid