home recipe index ingredient index contact

Friday, July 31, 2009

Minted Pea Soup


Here is the essence of fresh garden goodness. I was recently reading a study about the increase of domestic gardens. It said something like garden growing is up 50% from last year. THAT is astounding. My Grandpa Erv was a gardener. My dad says that he grew the best "Ervloupes" aka cantaloupes. We have a garden and she is doing well. The tomatoes are starting to come on and the zucchini are in full swing. Speaking of zucchini, I have had a couple of e-mails asking for more zucchini recipes. A little while ago, I made this zucchini rice pilaf that was bitchin'. But it didn't photograph well and I am not going to post it if the picture sucks. So if you want the recipe, e-mail me.

Mint grows like a weed and this soup will be a good way to use it up. In this recipe, you can use fresh or frozen peas. Our peas aren't quite at their peak, so I used frozen. As for the mint, I would hope you would only use fresh.



3 Tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
4 cups shelled peas, fresh or frozen
3 Tbsp minced fresh mint
A few big pinches of sugar

In a large pot over medium high heat, add the butter. Once melted, add the onion. Saute until onions are lightly browned and translucent. Add the garlic and saute for one minute more. Pour in the stock and the peas. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the peas are really soft. Stir in the mint and the sugar. Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, blend the soup in batches in the blender.

Serve soup warm or chilled.

Yields 6 servings

Served with this: herb garden buttermilk biscuits (recipe coming next week)

Rookie's Notes: It should be known that my steak-and-potatoes husband was practically drinking this from his bowl. Huge success in the husband department.

1 comment:

Peter M said...

Found your comment at Kalyn's blog and I had to click on the title, "rookie cookie"!

Love the name, the pea soup sounds yum and I wish you "happy cooking".