home recipe index ingredient index contact

Friday, March 5, 2010

Infected


It was 7:30pm when we finally were seen by a doctor.

Van was sleeping against my chest and protruding pregnant middle. I had hummed him to sleep by humming Mary Poppins "Stay Awake" about 2o times in a row. Van's left hand was cupping his left ear, his nose was running and wet and he occasionally coughed. I had to selectively and quietly sniff my own sick nose so I wouldn't wake him up. His forehead was dripping fevered sweat and it dripped down my shirt. But I wasn't about to move him. He was finally relaxed. Finally tearless and calm.

Once the doctor came in, an ear infection was quickly identified and miracle medicine was prescribed. I explained to the doctor that my little family were all sick with colds and Ethan with strep throat. And he said, "Well, you haven't been having any fun at all, have you?" "No doctor, not a bit."

But now, we are all well. We have put away the tissues and Van and Ethan are both finishing their antibiotics. And my evening prayers have changed from asking for healing to gratitude for our amazing bodies and their ability to recover. One would think I would make a batch of comforting chicken noodle soup or warm bread to carry is through our turmoil. But no. We all ate nothing but Totino's pizzas and Robin Egg Whoppers for days. So I am especially grateful that we were able to get better whilst fueling our ailing bodies with crappy food.

I am telling you, our bodies are amazing.

11 comments:

Kirsten said...

Why is it that you always get the double whammy with Strep and colds? I can never figure it out! All will have colds, one will have strep and a cold. Weird! Glad you are all on the mend and able to cook. Love your recipes and your blog. Here's to a well weekend!

Sarah said...

So hard when the whole family is sick - especially when mommy is sick. Hope you guys feel better soon.

Michelle @ Twig said...

Yes! If I've learned anything after being pregnant and having a baby, our bodies are miraculous. I knew this before but I know it even more now. You also showed that mother's are incredible. You have to be the rock when everyone else is turning to mush. So glad that everyone is doing a bit better. I'm sure you were ready for some intervention.

heather said...

oh whitney! i know your pain! wendy JUST had double ear infections, a fever, AND was vomiting. I got the fever/cough and ryan caught the barfing. but we are all better now too. You'd think we lived next door to each other or something.

Thank goodness for modern medicine.

{lindy baker cakes} said...

So glad you're all feeling much better!!!

Cherry Blossoms said...

This is EXACTLY what is going on at my house! Viral infection and Ear infection. No fun at all! Heres to feeling better!

Brit said...

ear infections are the worst! Dylan (my 3.5 yr old) just had a REAL bad one...it's like, there's nothing you can do to give them relief until they give you those magical drops. doesn't it just break your heart to watch them suffer? hope ur drugs work as well as mine did, we're back to being a healthy house. :)

Unknown said...

Bummer. Too bad you moved so far away or I'd have brought you some soup. :)

Yay for medicine!

Vanessa said...

We had strep and croup like 4 weeks ago that lasted 2 weeks. I woke up today again with strep I think. And honestly I am about to do what I did last time...going out to buy a million Totino's pizzas.

vanessa from inevergrewup.net

Amy B. said...

Baby Addy is sick too and I hate it! It's so sad when they can't tell you what's going on!

And, your chocolate chip cookies are my very favorite in the whole world...yum!

Megan said...

I think it probably isn't helpful or at all interesting to you when people share their stories about how they've been sick too. I'm curious as to why you'd give a damn.