home recipe index ingredient index contact

Monday, August 16, 2010

Orange Roughy with Cannellini Basil Mash

I am not kidding you when I say that this is a 10 minute dinner. Only 10 minutes total. You simple bake the fish and then while it bakes, you make a quick white bean and basil mash to serve under the fish. Add a quick mixed green salad and you are done. This is also minimal clean up. You use the food processor and a baking sheet. Speed up the clean up and line the pan with foil. It's such an easy, satisfying meal. When I sent my sister the pictures to edit, this is what my e-mail said:

"I make good food all the time. I am good at manipulating ingredients. But sometimes, I blow my own socks off.
This
orange roughy did that. I am a genius.
This recipe is so bomb."


I don't know why I told her this. She doesn't like fish. She doesn't eat any animals or their byproducts. Oh the glorious foods she chooses to miss out on.



4 orange roughy filets
Olive oil
Kosher salt
Ground pepper
1 15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp kosher salt
A few grinds black pepper

Set oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray. Lay fish filets on the baking sheet. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil on each filet and rub it all over. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the fish is firm, but not dry.

While the fish cooks, add the beans, lemon juice and basil to the bowl of a food processor. Process until the beans are almost smooth. With the machine running, add the oil slowly. Once the oil is incorporated and the beans are smooth, season with salt and pepper. Taste and add more if needed.

Serve the fish with a big spoonful of the cannellini basil mash underneath. Serve with lemon wedges.

Yields 4 servings.

Rookie's Notes
: If you can't find orange roughy, use any other white fish. Tilapia, mahi mahi, red snapper or halibut. I got my orange roughy from Harmon's and it was exceptional.

Also, in case you didn't know, cannellini beans are also called white kidney beans.



HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING ELSE? Click here.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Yeah, the fish doesn't thrill me, but I've been so excited for you to post the cannellini bean mash. Like on pins and needles excited. Dead serious. Dead-as-an-Orange-Roughy-on-your-plate kind of serious.

Sarah said...

Sounds fab. I have never had orange roughy but I am so tempted to try it now!

sarah22277 said...

I made this recipe yesterday, only I used Flounder, garbonzo beans, and subbed out some vegetable broth for some of the olive oil, to keep it a little lighter. So, I basically took your idea and used what I had on hand, but the outcome was DELICIOUS! Thanks for sharing.