home recipe index ingredient index contact

Monday, August 9, 2010

Zucchini Blueberry Muffins

Are you losing inspiration with your summer produce? It happens to the best of us. It can be easy to just saute the squash or boil the corn. But let's not allow this moment to pass us by! Summer only comes once a year, eh, yeah... once a year! Take advantage of vegetables and fruit and their peak of perfect. Get a little creative. Like these muffins.


Shredded zucchini has this impressive ability to make baked goods moist. These muffins took all of the shredded zucchini's moisture and put it to good use. This muffin is light and incredibly moist. It's the perfect agent for plump blueberries and softened butter. And guess what, this muffin is sweetened with honey. No sugar at all. Maybe the lack of sugar can motivate you to slather on some butter on the finished muffin?




2 cups flour
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
3/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup honey
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup fresh blueberries

Set oven to 350 degrees. Line one muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Whisk to combine. In a medium bowl, combine the grated zucchini, olive oil, honey, eggs and vanilla. Stir to combine. Add the zucchini mixture to the flour mixture and stir together until flour is completely moistened, but not overmixed. Fold in blueberries.

Scoop muffin batter into muffin tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm.

Yields 12 muffins.

Rookie's Notes: I made these, we ate a few and then I froze the rest. They make for a quick breakfast. Take a frozen muffin and put it in the microwave for 30-45 seconds. Ding! Breakfast.


HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING ELSE? Click here.

7 comments:

Shanicherie said...

So, I've never had zucchini in a baked good! Does it taste vegetabley?

whitneyingram said...

Not at all. It just comes in to make something moist. Try these muffins and you shall see.

Shanicherie said...

I believe I shall!

Joanna said...

Who's the genius?! Muffins made with honey...I'm so excited. I can't have any sugar while pregnant (makes me very ill) and I miss baked goods. Thank you! I'm trying this one right away!!

Jessica said...

These look fantastic!

Do you think agave nectar would work as well as honey?

Lisa said...

Ever since I found this recipe I make it all the time for my 3 year old. I freeze them and pull them out for breakfast or snack. These are the best, most moist muffins ever! Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to bake them tonight for his birthday party and then ice them with cream cheese icing. The icing won't be healthy, but the muffin will be!

Anonymous said...

So I didn't have some of the ingredients-so I improvised! Check it out here- http://purplekale25.blogspot.com/2012/09/balsamic-strawberry-zucchini-muffins.html#

Thanks for sharing this! My 3 year old is VERY happy right now...she's actually licking the plate!