home recipe index ingredient index contact

Friday, April 4, 2008

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yesterday I was bored. I seem to want to bake when I am bored. Recently, I realized I haven’t been true to myself. I haven’t made cookies in ages. Cookies are my thing. I love cookies and they love me. But alas, I haven’t been much of a cookie baker lately. That all changed today and today’s baked good was oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I would do raisins, but Ethan hates them. Such a shame.



1½ cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 eggs
1½ cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1½-2 cups chocolate chips (depending on your preference)

Set oven to 375 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar, brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Mix well and then add to the mixing bowl. Stir in the oats and chocolate chips.

On a greased cookie sheet, drop rounded spoonfuls of the dough 2 inches apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are browned. Let cool on cookie sheets for one minute before transferring to a wire rack.

Rookie’s Notes: Yes, you have to grease the cookie sheets. And I recommend Pam’s Baking Spray. It smells so dang good. If they had it in a perfume, I would buy it and I would smell like delicious cookies all the time.

The credit for this recipe goes to Janeen. My dad thinks she made up this recipe. But she actually got it from one of my mom’s cookbooks. But we will just let my dad think Janeen is a genius.

4 comments:

Jodi Jean said...

i always make my oatmeal cookies with butterscotch chips, but chocolate sounds good too! good thing you didnt show those to me yesterday, or i'm pretty sure i would have eaten them ALL!!! hehe!

Lindsay said...

So glad I can post a comment! Do you seriously have all of these strange ingredients that you use for all of the recipes just sitting in your cupboard? You are amazing! I just wish that I enjoyed cooking like you do!

Sue said...

She may have found it in one of my books, but she has this "knack" that no one can match when she makes them. In all fairless to you, Whitney, I have not tasted your's though.

Megan said...

I love Lins. She's right. It's odd to have on hand all the ingredients you use.

And hooray for Ethan. Raisins in baked goods: Y U C K.