home recipe index ingredient index contact

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Oatmeal with Apples, Brown Sugar and Raisins

Oatmeal always reminds me of my mom. She made oatmeal often when we were growing up. And sometimes she would put in apples or raisins and that was always my favorite. My mom was always concerned about getting a good breakfast in our little tummies so that we would be able to concentrate and do well in school. Jack isn't in school yet, but maybe oatmeal will help him concentrate on being nice to me all day:)



3 cups water
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
1/2 cup raisins
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

Bring water to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat and stir in salt and oats. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes. Add apple, raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let rest 2 minutes.

No comments: