home recipe index ingredient index contact

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Orange and Thyme Grilled Shrimp

I love a grocery delivery like I love Christmas morning. I find that I sigh with approval as I open the produce bags. The veggies and fruit have to know I love them by how thoughtfully I place them in the fridge. Fuji apples, watermelon, yellow bell peppers, raspberries and avocados- all are almost kissed when they come to my house. But then I eat them to show them how much I really love them.

The oranges were really loved today. So loved that I stripped off all their fragrant zest and reamed the crap out of them to steal all their juices. I hope they know they are appreciated.




1 lb large shrimp (about 24), peeled and deveined, tails left on
1 tsp grated orange zest
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for grates
2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped off
Kosher salt and ground pepper

In a shallow dish, combine shrimp, zest, juice, garlic, oil, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Toss to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes (or up to 8 hours). Soak eight 8-inch wooden skewers in water 30 minutes before cooking.

Heat grill to medium and lightly oil grates. Thread shrimp onto skewers, and grill, turning once, until shrimp are opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes.

Yields 8 skewers.

Served with this: watermelon and corn on the cob.

Rookie's Notes: Couldn't buy shrimp already peeled and deveined? Don't know how to do it yourself? Click here for some great instructions.

No comments: