home recipe index ingredient index contact

Friday, October 24, 2008

Curried Pumpkin Soup

WHAT? MORE PUMPKIN? IS SHE NUTS!?!? Why, yes I am. And I am not even finished yet.



3 Tbsp butter
1/2 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 tsp curry powder, depending on your taste
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 cup pureed pumpkin
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 cups vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
Chopped cilantro for serving

In a large pot over medium high heat, add the butter. Once the butter runs quickly in the pan, add the onion, garlic, curry powder and ground coriander. Cook until onion is softened. Turn the heat down to medium and add the pumpkin, nutmeg, vegetable broth and bay leaf. Bring to boil and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.

Stir in the heavy cream and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve with cilantro on top.

Yields 4 servings.

Rookie's Notes: This recipe does not make a lot. If you are planning on feeding more than 4 people, double this recipe.

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

oh, this looks yummy! I think that I might try it tonight!! Thanks for another great recipe

Unknown said...

I made this tonight for our Halloween dinner. It was delicious. Thank you for mentioning that it didn't make very much. I tripled the recipe and it was enough to feed 4 adults and 2 little kids...with some left over for lunch tomorrow.

I served it with roasted chicken, green salad and bread. It was INCREDIBLE!!! I'll definitely make this again soon.