home recipe index ingredient index contact

Monday, October 6, 2008

Eggplant Pomodoro

A while ago, my mom and my sisters could not shut up about some eggplant crap. I am not an eggplant fan. But only because I have never tried it. Any food I have never tried starts with an F and then works up to an A.

Last Tuesday, I opened my mom's fridge and there they were, two big, fat, purple eggplants. I knew she had some evil plan to get me to eat this eggplant crap her and my duped sister have been fawning over.

Once dinner time rolled around, I asked what I could do to help. So I sliced the eggplant and made the tomato sauce. Once said eggplant is finished being prepared and dinner was on the table, it was time. Time to not offend my mom and try this eggplant crap.

Well,

Actually,

It was good. It was really good. Like so good I would make it again. And again. A+!



1 eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 Roma tomatoes, diced
2 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, depending on your taste
Kosher salt and ground pepper
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup dijon mustard
1 small box seasoned croutons, pulsed to crumbs in a food processor

Set oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray and set aside.

In a skillet over medium heat, heat a small amount of olive oil. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are broken down, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Cover and set aside.

In a shallow bowl, combine mayonnaise and dijon. In a separate bowl, pour in crouton crumbs. One at a time, dip eggplant rounds in the mayonnaise dijon mixture. Then dredge in crouton crumbs. Place on prepared baking sheet and repeat with the rest of the eggplant rounds. Drizzle all eggplant rounds with a small amount of olive oil. Bake for 45 minutes, flipping half way through and then drizzle more olive oil on those sides.

Serve eggplant with tomato sauce over the top.

Yields 6 servings.

3 comments:

Jodi Jean said...

i've never had eggplant either ... it just looks so strange. i just might have to try it! i hope everything is going well with you!

errin julkunen-pedersen said...

i like that you rate untested food the way i rate people...anyone i don't know automatically starts out at an F and works their way to an A. i get it.

whitneyingram said...

Jodi, go for it. I was very skeptical myself, but it was excellent.

Errin, WELCOME. I have never seen a comment from you, so welcome. And yes, from an F to an A. I think I do that with everything. So what is my grade?