home recipe index ingredient index contact

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sweet Pea's Chicken Taco Soup

Sweet Pea has yet to fail me. Once again, her food has satisfied. This one is a slow cooker recipe. And hey, there isn't any cream-of-whatever "soup" in it! So it is good for you! Healthy AND tasty! Imagine that.



2 15 oz cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
16 oz can tomato sauce
10 oz package frozen corn (I used 1 15 oz can of corn)
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
1 15 oz can chicken stock
1 small onion, diced
1 package taco seasoning
2 boneless chicken breasts (I used three)

Toppings:
Shredded cheddar cheese
Sour cream
Crushed tortillas
Sliced scallions
Sliced olives
Minced cilantro (my favorite)

Place the first 7 ingredients in the slow cooker and mix well. Place chicken breasts on top of the ingredients and cover the slow cooker. Cook on high 4-5 hours, or low 8-10 hours. Remove the chicken and cool on a cutting board while you prepare the cheese, sour cream and crushed tortilla chips. Once chicken is cool, shred or cut up very fine, mix back into soup.

Serve soup in bowls, and let the kiddos do their own toppings!

Rookie's Notes: You can put in frozen chicken breasts. They will defrost and cook just fine.

Here is a thought: this would be great to give to the minis before they go Trick-or-Treating. You can throw everything together in the morning and it will cook while you put on costumes.

UPDATE 12/3/2009: I made this today and once again, it satisfied. I didn't have a can of diced tomatoes with the green chiles, just the diced tomatoes. So I added a 4 oz can of mild diced green chiles along with the diced tomatoes and it tasted great and wasn't too spicy. So don't stress if you don't have the right tomatoes. Just add green chiles separately.

7 comments:

Sweet Pea Chef said...

Great minds think alike! We have this on the menu for our pre-TorTing this Friday.

So glad you liked it!

Sweet Pea Chef said...

By the way, can I hire you to be my photographer? You are so savvy!

karin said...

I guess since I left a comment about the brownies, I can start leaving comments about the recipes I am going to make. This looks DELICIOUS, I am going to star this in my google reader asap.

Aubrey said...

Made this for dinner tonight. I'm pregnant and disgustingly nauseated; haven't wanted to eat anything in about 10 days. This was the first non-cracker "meal" I've had in awhile!! Thanks!

Jill said...

This was amazing. Thanks!

Janeen said...

Super Yummy! I made it for dinner tonight!

Unknown said...

Happened upon your blog (I'm friends with your cousin Lindsay)...I made this today & loved it! It was really easy to make & even the kids thought it was "SO yummy!" They are tough critics.