home recipe index ingredient index contact

Monday, December 1, 2008

Melissa's Cauliflower with Browned Butter and Walnuts

I have seven sisters in-law on my Ingram side. Yes, seven. Only two are Ethan's actual sisters and the rest have married in. They are all beautiful, smart, fun and talented. During my trip to Southern California, I spent most of my time laughing and chatting with my sisters.

Two of my sisters in-law are named Melissa. Naturally, things can get confusing with two Melissa's around. To differentiate the two, they are appropriately named Ricky's Melissa and Ryan's Melissa. This recipe belongs to Ricky's Melissa and posted with her consent.

Ricky's Melissa makes this cauliflower side dish every Thanksgiving. It is one thing I look forward to every year. For how well it tastes and presents, you wouldn't believe how easy it is.



1 head of cauliflower, green leaves trimmed off
1 stick and a half of butter
1 cup walnuts

In a medium saucepan, fill the pan with enough water to come up 1 inch on the sides. Add the head of cauliflower, stem side down. Set pan over medium heat and cover. Steam until cauliflower is tender.

In a small skillet, add butter. Cook over medium heat until melted. Swirl the butter in the pan until brown and fragrant. Take off of heat and add walnuts.

Set the cauliflower on a platter. Pour the butter and walnut mixture over the top. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments: