home recipe index ingredient index contact

Friday, January 9, 2009

Braised Beef Short Ribs with Parslied Egg Noodles

We have a pool table. It is in the same room as all the toys. Since Jack is three and a kid with a large pool cue is a combo for possible death, he can only roll the balls with his hands. He calls this "table fall". Why? Not a clue. If you know why, maybe you can also explain to me who Purple Leo is. All I know about her is that Jack wants to marry her, kiss her a lot, and she is invisible. Oh yeah, and she is purple. Creative child I have.

Lately, my dad and Ethan are in a major pool phase. I don't know why Ethan is because he has lost approximately 40 times in a row. But he still plays and tries to get better. In the meantime, my dad continues to spank him and keep winning.

One pool playing Sunday afternoon, I was busy making this meal. As I seared the ribs, I could hear Ethan yelling from downstairs, "What on earth are you making and when will it be done? My mouth is watering." I kind of chuckled. When will it be done? Try like four hours.

Yep, four hours. These ribs braised until the meat fell from the bones. I can't even tell you how many times Ethan had to "check" the ribs. He kept taking the pot out of the oven and stabbing meat with a fork. Which reminds of a story...

Shortly after Ethan and I were married, we were enjoying an afternoon in our little apartment in the ghetto. No really, it was truly a ghetto. Anyways, Ethan had grilled up some steaks for lunch. While trying to be a sweet, romantic husband, Ethan offered me a bite of his medium rare ribeye. He cut me a generous piece and held his fork out. I opened my mouth and then Ethan pulled the fork back. I leaned forward and he pulled back more. I wanted that dang piece of meat so I grabbed the fork and pulled hard to get the piece in my mouth. Well, my sweet, romantic husband let go and the fork went flying back into my throat and stabbed me. I had four perfect holes in the back of my mouth. Boy, it hurt! But man, than meat was good.

Speaking of Ethan... Happy Birthday, doll face.




For the short ribs:
4 lbs beef short ribs, cut into separate rib pieces
Kosher salt and ground pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
2 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups beef stock
4 cups water
2 15 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Set oven to 350 degrees. Set beef short ribs on a tray and season with salt and pepper on both sides.

In a large pot, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over high heat. Once oil is hot, but not smoking, add a few short ribs and brown on both sides. Be sure to brown each side, but not cook through. Remove from pan and set in a bowl. Continue browning short ribs in batches and setting aside.

Once all ribs are browned, add 1 Tbsp olive oil and add onions and garlic. Cook, scraping the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. When onions are cooked, add beef short ribs, beef stock, water, tomatoes and Worcestershire. Be sure all ribs are covered with liquid, bring to a boil. Cover with foil and put in the oven for at least 4 hours.
Remove Formatting from selection
For the egg noodles:
1 lb egg noodles
1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
Small handful chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
A few grinds black pepper

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook egg noodles until al dente. Drain and pour into a large bowl. Add butter, parsley and season with pepper. Stir well and set aside.

Remove ribs from the pot with a slotted spoon and serve over parslied egg noodles

Rookie's Notes: All you foodies out there are looking at my picture and saying, "What an idiot. Those aren't egg noodles. They are regular pasta. She is a dope." Well, they are egg noodles, just in a dumb shape. I just wanted to make that clear so I don't loose the little credibility I have.

Credit for the gist of the recipe goes to Shayne at Fruitcake or Nuts.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Happy Birthday Ethan!