home recipe index ingredient index contact

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Chicken Nachos for a Crowd

The day I made these was one helluva day. It started out with me and Jack sleeping over at my sister's house in Provo (Van stayed home with Daddy). We woke up early early in the morning to go see the hot air balloons at Fox Field. It was completely awesome. Jack even got to sit in a fire truck. After being entertained by the balloons, we went to Provo Bakery where Jack had a chocolate donut and I had an extremely disgusting and disappointing buttermilk bar. They tried to tell me it's like a krueller. Lies, I tell you.

We headed down the freeway towards home. Once off the freeway, I grabbed a Route 44 diet Coke at Sonic. Such a terrible hour to consume soda, but whatever. We got home and everyone crashed. Thank you Van for having such agreeable nap times. We slept and then had to throw ourselves together to meet Lindsey of Cafe Johnsonia at the park with her 3 adorable children. Her baby has the most delightful red hair. We sat at the park and chased our children, some of which were insistent on taking their clothes off. After exhausting ourselves, we both headed home for naps. But not before I took a detour through Sonic AGAIN. Yes Kyler, I'm the same lady you saw earlier this morning. But this time I want a Strawberry Limeade. Yeah, thanks.

Once home, afternoon naps commenced. Of course I went to sleep because I was still suffering from my hot air balloon hang over. After a few hours, I woke up and wished I had the extra cash flow to just go out to dinner. But unfortunately, I don't. And I hate taking my kids out to dinner anyways. Messy madness. So I went with one of my go-to's.

Everyone has their go-to's. A go-to is a meal you know you can throw together at anytime. My go-to's are spaghetti with tomato sauce, potato soup, frittatas and chicken nachos. What are your go-to's?



4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup prepared salsa
1 large bag tortilla chips
1 lb cheddar cheese, shredded
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can corn, drained
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
Handful chopped green onions or cilantro

Set oven to 400 degrees.

Set a large pot of water on to boil. Once boiling, add the chicken breasts. Boil until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken breasts from the water and set on a cutting board to cool. Once cool enough to handle, shred and put into a medium bowl. Pour salsa over the chicken and toss to coat.

Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick spray. Add half of the bag of tortilla chips and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle on half of the shredded chicken, half of the black beans, half of the corn and half of the onion. Sprinkle on half of the shredded cheese. Repeat again, beginning with the rest of the tortilla chips.

Bake for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle on green onions or cilantro as garnish. Serve with more salsa if needed.

Yields 6 servings.

10 comments:

{natalie} said...

that sounds delicious. i am now wishing it was time for dinner or at least lunch...too early for nachos at 8 AM.

Mumsy said...

Mmmm...nachos.

I went through Sonic after you and ordered the exact same thing. You were right, it was good.

Park again soon?

Morgan said...

taco salad. that's our go to.
or pbj's...

Ingrid_3Bs said...

You are sooooo lucky that Van is such a good "napper/sleeper"! My kids are still terrible and don't often sleep through the night! Yeah, 10 & 13!

Your nachos look delish and am certain they would be a hit with mine. Of course, Devon will promptly let me know that that was NOT dinner but a snack. Devon is my son!
~ingrid

Taryn said...

This looks soooo good Whitney. I love almost anything with Black beans in it!

My go-to's (which of course I made one last night) are spaghetti with marinara, BBQ chicken, and orange chicken.

keely said...

Go-to's include taco night, breakfast night, chicken nugget night (soaked in buttermilk and breaded with whole wheat breadcrumbs- yum!)...
Love the nachos!

My Sensei said...

I am having a party this weekend and these nachos would be PERFECT! I am drooling over the pic, can't wait to try them out!

{Erica} said...

SO making this tomorrow night!

Marie said...

A crowd is right! I made this for me and my husband for dinner last night and ended up throwing half of it away! It is definitely a keeper on the recipe part, I will just need to remember to only do one layer with half as much ingredients.

Leslie said...

Thanks for the suggestion! It reminded me of the bbq chicken nachos that I used to get in Missouri. I made them tonight and they were sooo good.