home recipe index ingredient index contact

Monday, November 2, 2009

Token Halloween post

Army guy and Vanta Claus. Vanta especially loved trick-or-treating.

Halloween was sweet. Last year, Jack, aka I, was really shorted on Reese's. But this year, Jack's plastic pumpkin runneth over. And since it was so cold outside, we didn't have a ton of trick-or-treaters, so we have a lot of leftover candy. And a lot of those are Reese's. Glory be.

We didn't end up having to trick-or-treat in the snow because Halloween Day was warm and sunny and most of the snow melted. But it surely was cold. It worked out in the end because Ethan's sister Stephanie wanted to come and take the boys trick-or-treating, so Ethan and I sat under a blanket in the golf cart and we drove Stephanie and the boys around. It couldn't have been more perfect. Trick-or-treating ended in tears because we went to a house that had turned their garage into a totally decent haunted house. The clincher for Jack was the chain saw. He bawled like a baby and screamed, "I HATE TRICK-OR-TREATING! I WANNA GO HOME!" It was awesome.

When we got home, Jack checked out his booty. And I served up some apple pie. My sister Mal and I made two apple pies earlier in the day. And I must say I make a wicked good apple pie, especially when pies are so hard for me to make. The crust I make is tender and flaky, but an absolute biotch to work with. Maybe it's me that's an absolute biotch to work with. I cussed at that crust the entire time I was rolling it out. But it was worth the trouble. Apple pie with fresh whipped cream seems like the adult thing to eat after trick-or-treating.

As for rationing the candy, we don't do too much of that. Halloween only comes once a year so I just let him have at it. And Ethan, Van and I help along the way. Our entire family was on a sugar high all during church the next day seeing as I used it to keep the boys quiet. And here is the part where I formally apologize to Jack's primary teacher for his obnoxious behavior all during the primary program practice on Sunday. Sorry Sister Johnson. I take full responsibility for Jack sporadically screaming throughout the last hour of church.

12 comments:

Magen said...

I love the costumes, your kids are so cute! I took my 2-year old nephew trick or treating and he got scared of all the weird strangers opening the doors. So we only made it to about 5 houses, but it was still fun. And we got the requisite picture to put in the scrapbook. And I'm glad your biotch-y apple pie turned out good. :-)

Ashley Thalman said...

Santa!? Oh my! A bald, beardless Santa. What great way to start my morning.

Karla said...

Tell Army Guy and Vanta that I make a solemn promise... anytime they show up at my house looking like that, I will give them candy.

Staci said...

I'm laughing all the way to the kids trick-or-treats bags.

Erin said...

Ahaha- Santa.

rabidrunner said...

I have trouble with pie crust too. It never occurred to me that it might be because I'm a biotch to work with.

Sweet Pea Chef said...

Your boys look sweet!

BTW, I keep meaning to ask you...do you like your immersion blender? If so, would you recommend it? I making my Christmas list...

Jelli said...

It sounds like Jack would have fit in very well with another little girl at our church. She has a habit of walking in during the sermon, talking to her father about something or other, and winding up sobbing (LOUDLY) until he walks her out of the room. She's a stubborn one, but incredibly cute.

Jessica said...

I consider it divine intervention that I decided to do the Primary Program before Halloween. Although the kids were all hopped up on sugar at church yesterday. Pretty hilarious.

p.s. you're killing me with the new header. It's making me hungry for sugar.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Love how you keep it real, Whitney!

Reese's PB cups is the only chocolate candy that I will eat. I sneak them from the kiddos and then hide them in the freezer. I like 'em cold and with a big glass of milk.

Hope Sister Johnson forgives ya!
~ingrid

Mike and Jill said...

Gah! I love it-great costumes. I can NOT believe how BIG Vanta Claus is. What happened to the baby?
I see new food at the top of your blog...are you going to fill us in? You're making me hungry :)
j

L said...

I eat my mom's pie dough before she can turn it into a crust. Takes care of that biotch problem. Disgusting? Why yes but I like the salty taste of it.