home recipe index ingredient index contact

Monday, March 15, 2010

Butterscotch Blondies

These were dessert after Thai veggie wraps. Little Jack saw my friend Lucy and I eating them and he became envious. He asked, "Mom, what are those?" "Do you want one? They are butterscotch blondies, son." "What?" And then Lucy summed it up perfectly. "Jack, they are butter brownies." And that they are. Buttery, sweet and chewy. Butterscotch chips are a great accent. These are a variation of the chocolate chip blondies I have on this here blog. So maybe you have some toffee chips you want to use? Maybe white chocolate chips and dried cranberries? Really anything would work. Good luck in your combination choices for your own "butter brownies".



1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup, or more, butterscotch chips

Set oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with non-stick spray. Line pan with a piece of parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two sides. Spray paper. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk butter and sugars until smooth. Whisk in egg and vanilla. Add flour and salt and mix just until moistened (do not overmix). Fold in butterscotch chips. Transfer batter to prepared pan and smooth top.

Bake until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Set pan on a wire rack, and let cool completely. Using parchment overhang, lift cake from pan and transfer to a cutting board and cut into 16 squares. Store blondies in an airtight container at room temperature.

Yields 16 blondies.

Rookie's Notes: Not sure if you have ever tried them, but snickerdoodle blondies are sublime.

6 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

oh yum these must be so good. I ll try them with toffee chips since I don t find butterscotch chips.

Michelle @ Twig said...

P.S. I had lunch with a neighbor last week and she made your thai wraps. So so good and after I saw your picture I was craving them so I got lucky!

Lisa said...

I am a butterscotch lover to the 100th degree...so much so, that I actually choose butterscotch over chocolate on many an occasion (hears gasps lol) That said, these bars are right up my alley. They look terrific!!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Hands down my family and I prefer butter brownies over chocolate ones.

Yours look a little on the cakey side...I'll just under cook them and then perfection!
~ingrid

likeschocolate said...

It seems to be a sweet theme going on these days. Fish tacos in your last post sound yummy, but to be honest I have never had them. How do you make them?

whitneyingram said...

@likeschocolate - You're in luck. I have a recipe for some really fantastic fish tacos:

http://www.rookie-cookie.com/2008/07/fish-tacos-with-mango-radish-salsa.html