home recipe index ingredient index contact

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Easy Maple Pecan Sticky Buns

I feed a baby every two hours. We sit on the couch and either stare around the room as I scrutinize my pathetic efforts at decorating or we watch TV. Over the last few weeks, I have been keeping up with the Kardashians. Kourtney is my favorite. I have also been at home with Giada and in the emergency room with JD and Turk. But Violet seems to have terrible timing. She always has to eat along with the Neely's. I truly can't handle the Neely's. Seriously, take your ham and get a room.


One afternoon during four ounces of warm Similac, we watched Ina. She made a quick sticky bun using puff pastry. And it was then I knew that I had to make my own version. This is that version. Light, crisp, buttery puff pastry, pure maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans. These are so sticky and sweet and about 1 million calories a piece.




For the sticky part:
10 Tbsp butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp pure maple syrup

In a small bowl, combine butter, brown sugar and maple syrup. With a rubber scraper, mix well until smooth. Divide butter mixture between 12 muffin cups. Set pan on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and set pan aside.

For the buns:
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Set oven to 400 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, unfold the puff pastry, with folds going left to right. In a small bowl, combine butter and maple syrup. With a pastry brush, brush mixture onto puff pastry, leave a small 1/2 inch border all the way around. Evenly sprinkle on brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans. From the bottom up, gently roll up the puff pastry. Slice into 12 small rolls. Place one roll into each muffin cup, on top of the butter mixture.

Bake sticky buns for 30 minutes, until browned. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then invent sticky buns onto the parchment paper. Allow to cool for an additional 10 minutes. Eat carefully, they are fiercely hot.

Yields 12 sticky buns.

Rookie's Notes: Sometime soon, I am going to write a post about my fancy maple syrup that I don't share with my children. It is the best maple syrup I have ever had. Great maple flavor and it also sort of tastes like bacon.


HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING ELSE? Click here.

12 comments:

karin said...

I do not enjoy the Neeleys either. But I try not to watch infomercials, I find I want/need everything.

Rita said...

I also watched massive amounts of Food Network with my first! I could almost time his feedings to when Bobby Flay was on in the morning. I would have preferred Ina, but I'll take what I can!

Hugan said...

You made me laugh with your Neely comment. So true! And I love Ina and a sticky bun - will try your recipe soon! :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

YUM!

Ha-ha, taste kinda like bacon? No wonder it's so good!
~ingrid

Sarah said...

Yum! Thanks. These are some of my favorite buns - but I love this simple adjustment!

Jelli said...

I love this! Thanks for sharing. I am a little sad that you are not a Neely fan, but I appreciate seeing a couple who really are in love and working together so well (at least on camera).

Michelle @ Twig said...

This had me laughing so hard because it sounded like you took the thoughts from my head. I don't like the Neely's either and they were ALWAYS on when it was time for J to eat! Loved loved loved the poetic/humorous way you shared it.
P.S. have also wanted to tell you that I used 4 of your recipes for last week's menu. You've become my first go-to for my weekly planning, merci'!

Kalli said...

we may or may not have made our son do an involuntary dance entitled "sticky buns" as an infant

jenniferhoiyin said...

i know it's entirely too late for me to be up, and typing coherent words, but i had to say that i saw ina make these over christmas break and they haunt me still. still!

oh how i love jd & that turk turkleton.

Gina said...

I think you are HILARIOUS! Love your wit and humor! Not sure how I stumbled upon your blog, but I'm glad I did! Can't wait to try your recipes! (Like the sticky buns...probably tomorrow or the next day). You're not a grouch!

Jessica said...

I will definitely be coming back to this recipe when my imaginary autumn brunch becomes reality. :)

Bake-A-Holic said...

Love the blog! Great layout and photos.