home recipe index ingredient index contact

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Fresh Raspberry Butter

There was an emergency on a large scale. A true red alert. Lindsey called me as soon as she heard and made sure I was aware of what was going on. She didn't want me to be misinformed or mislead. She wanted to make sure that I was kept abreast of the situation.

Fresh raspberries were $.88 at Sunflower Market.

I rushed to the scene. My heart was pounding as I walked through the doors. I walked straight back to the produce section to see the damage. And then I saw it with my own eyes. Lindsey was right. There they were, in plain site. Cases of fresh raspberries, marked down, right down to their skivvies.

I bought an entire case. A little over 4 pounds. I carefully set them on my passenger seat, tempted to buckle them in. I brought them home and they sat on my kitchen counter and they stayed there for two days. They were snacked on and thrown into smoothies. A few were called and chosen to set atop some chocolate cupcakes. The rest were carefully frozen in single layers, making their final rest in a ziploc bag to be loved and cared for through the bitter cold winter months.

Before the bulk of the berries were frozen, one container was swirled with softened butter and sugar. It was then swathed on top of warm buttermilk biscuits. What a joy. It was like raspberry jam, but butter. The berries were tart and the butter was melted, right along with my heart.



1 cup softened butter
1 cup fresh raspberries (1 6 oz container)
1/4 cup sugar
1 lemon, zested
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix with a hand mixer until smooth. Serve at room temperature.

Yields 1 1/2 cups

Rookie's Notes: This goes on buttermilk biscuits beautifully, but of course on top of all sorts of other things. Toast, pancakes, waffles, muffins, French toast, cornbread. I made this butter and then took half and froze it. I think it will be the perfect day-brightener in the cold, bitter, harsh, rotten, evil, heartless winter months.


HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING ELSE?
Click here.

12 comments:

Kalli said...

you forgot the part where you didn't call me and I didn't go buy any

Melanie said...

Sorry, still laughing at the above comment.

This raspberry butter looks ridiculously delicious. I wish raspberries were that cheap in these parts!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I have got to get my sorry behind to one of our farmer's markets here. It's just stupid that I, living in FL do not take full advantage of all our locally grown produce.

Thanks for another yummy compound butter recipe!
~ingrid

Mumsy said...

Kalli, as soon as you start bringing me homemade cherry lemonade and oranges from CA, I'll put you on the calling tree. Deal? Or chocolate. Either way.

Sarah said...

I need to stop reading your blog - I just want to make everything on it... I just don't have the time. (Don't worry, I am still going to read it - even if I don't make it I love to look at it)

Sherry G said...

I have just found a love for raspberries. What have I been doing with my life? I will need to make this ASAP.

Carina said...

Lindsey, you're fired for not telling me.

Jelli said...

Oh how delicious this sounds! Thanks for sharing. This was, in fact, a true emergency. Keep up the good work.

Staci said...

We are HUGE HUGE raspberry fans at our house but we are also raspberry snobs. My mom has a big patch in her yard and I grew up throwing half a basket on my cereal every morning. EVERY MORNING! The lavishness of it has hit me now that I only have access to $5 a basket raspberries that really don't taste the same. Or anything like a raspberry, really.
In two separate houses we have planted bushes but had to move before they got going (long story). But honestly, they grow fantastically here and you should try growing them. They'll take over your yard, if you let them.

lisastassforth said...

Just found your blog... I must say your description of this raspberry butter was so delectable and tasty sounding that I'm tempted to make it myself.

Jessica said...

Oh man, I think I about died just imagining it on some French toast. Not sure if I should actually make this, my life could be in true danger if I really taste it!

moshell's lilbit of space said...

This post made me so happy (well all your posts really - especially the smiling Violet) BUT back to my point....when I lived in Chicago there was a restaurant that would serve this butter with your waffles and I haven't had it in years...but guess what I will be making Sunday morning? Yes...you are right.