home recipe index ingredient index contact

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Deep-fried Green Beans with Basil Aioli

Text message series:

Kalli: I have mass green beans. You interested?

Me:
Yes. I will call you in a bit.

Kalli: Sweet. I am picking them right now.

So I called her and claimed my green beans. She told me she had just picked them. How? I do not know. She was 36 weeks pregnant at the time. Bending over and picking green beans sounds nearly impossible. When I told her I was coming, I also mentioned that I was bringing her a big slice of chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting. And she said with a sigh, "Let's get married." I suppose that chocolate cake is that satisfying at 36 weeks pregnant. Kal, does your husband know you just proposed to me?




For the aioli
:
2 garlic cloves
1 egg yolk
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
10 basil leaves
1/3 cup olive oil

In the bowl of a food processor, add the garlic cloves and process until minced. Add egg yolk, lemon juice, mustard and basil. Process and add olive oil very slowly, drop by drop, until the aioli is emulsified and thick and smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate until serving time.

For the green beans:
Oil for frying
1/2 lb green beans
1 cups flour
2 tsp tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp chile powder
1 cups milk

Heat the oil to 375 degrees.

While the oil heats, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and chile powder. Whisk well to combine. Add the milk and whisk until smooth. Once the oil is heated, dip a few green beans in the batter and shake off the excess. Add the beans into the oil and fry for a few minutes, until the batter is golden. Remove the beans from the oil and onto a paper bag or paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining beans.

Serve deep-fried beans with basil aioli.

Yields 4 servings.

Rookie's Notes: When frying these, hold half of the bean in the oil until you can feel it float to the top. Then drop in rest of the bean you are holding. It will prevent the beans from going straight to the bottom and burning.

Also, don't be temped to load up the oil with too many beans. The more you add, the quicker the oil temperature will drop and you will get greasy fried food and not crisp fried food.

One last note, I added baking powder to the batter because I wanted a puffy, crispy batter. If that isn't your forte, don't add the baking powder.



HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING ELSE? Click here.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Ohhh man these look heavenly. And they are vegetables....something that we don't eat often at our home.
I'm in SLC, so next time she has an over load of green beans, I would be happy to take some off her hands.
My garden was more of a disaster this year - over watering due to mis-communication with hubby. sigh.

Kalli said...

he's been looking for a wife who cooks so I 'm guessing he's okay with it

Ann said...

I am making this right away! Looks SO GOOD!