home recipe index ingredient index contact

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Cindy's Avocado Salsa

I am proud to post my first reader recipe. My friend Cindy sent this to me saying, "you like recipes, try this." I was a little nervous because I had never used tomatillos and I am not very familiar with hot peppers. Well, need not be nervous anymore. This was easy and divine. Even my avocado-loathing sister Megan couldn't stop eating it.

THANK YOU CINDY!



1 avocado
1 small onion
1 bunch cilantro
6-8 tomatillos (8 if smaller, 6 if larger)
1-5 serrano peppers (depending on your bravery with the Scoville scale)
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp water, from the boiling water

Put water in a medium sauce pan and set to boil. Peel, husk and rinse tomatillos. Roughly chop serrano peppers (no need to seed them). Place tomatillos and peppers in the boiling water and boil until soft, about 5 minutes. Once softened, take out tomatillos and peppers with a slotted spoon.

Quarter the avocado and onion. Chop stems off the cilantro. Put all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add more water if needed.

Pour into a bowl and let it cool in the fridge. Keeps for up to 2 weeks.

Rookie's Notes: I realized as I was typing this up that I forgot the onion. We didn't even notice when we were eating it. So I would even say, omit the onion. It was just great without it. Also, I didn't really give the salsa any time to cool. I just dug right on it and it was so yummy warm. For the peppers, I added 3. It was just enough heat and it didn't cover up the flavor. Even Jack ate a ton and didn't complain about it being too spicy.