home recipe index ingredient index contact

Friday, June 20, 2008

Peanut Butter Granola Balls

I am of the opinion that certain words shouldn't be used when describing food. Boat, mound, log and balls. There is something about these words that I just don’t like and I don’t really have a very good reason. I wish there was something else I could call these delish little snacks, but anything else sounds funny. Peanut Butter Granola Rounds? No. Peanut Butter Granola Circles? Even dumber. So I guess I have to stick with balls. Bummer.



1/3 cup honey
¼ cup natural peanut butter
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup crisp rice cereal
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 Tbsp ground flax seed
¼ cup dried fruit (raisins, cranberries or cherries)

In a small saucepan over medium, heat honey, peanut butter, and butter. Stir until loosened and smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cereal, oats, ground flax seed and dried fruit.

Drop mixture by the tablespoon into mini muffin tins. Refrigerate until set, about 15 minutes. To store, refrigerate in an airtight container up to 1 week.

Rookie’s Notes: You will start to notice that I am going to be sneaking ground flax seed into lots of things. I have been reading up on the benefits of flax seed lately and it is astounding. With how inexpensive and versatile it is, why not put it in everything from smoothies to pancakes? It is the perfect oomph to anyone’s diet.

For more info on the benefits of ground flax seed, click here.